Total Pageviews

Wednesday 22 June 2011

pesto

We love homemade pesto sauce in our house .....  eating it with pasta, on toast, in sandwiches with cheese or chicken, it's truly yummy and nothing like the shop bought variety.

During times we have lived in warmer climes we've been able to grow huge amounts and have experienced plants growing up to a metre high.  I've tried cultivating it here in Scotland but even in the greenhouse, have never quite been able to produce enough for even one helping.

I'm reduced to buying it from the supermarket .... besides being expensive, especially in winter, I do worry about the amount of chemicals that may have gone into its production.

I feel bad throwing away the plant once I've picked the leaves so have tried to keep it going by leaving it on the window cill.  That's never worked for me.  It hasn't grown and usually results in a soggy mess, covered in those little flies you sometimes get on houseplants!  Recently though, I have been repoting and growing on in the greenhouse.  So far it's working well.    I pick off all the taller stems with big leaves so I'm just left with the shorter stems and tiny leaves.  I then repot into larger containers using some new compost.

I bought these at Morrisons yesterday where they are selling for 50p ......  if you buy basil regularly you'll know thats a bargain!


I've taken off the big leaves and the taller stems and will repot them to grow on.



I have 6 pots regrowing now



To bulk out the basil I use mint from the garden, I think this is apple mint but I'm sure any type will do.



This is the recipe we use

60g Fresh basil leaves
20g mint leaves
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp pine nuts
100ml extra virgin olive oil
7 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
Salt to taste

Place all the ingredients in a food processor and liquidise.  if you like your pesto crunchy, you could hold back a few pine nuts, chop them roughly and add at the end.

and Hey pesto!  .... sorry I couldn't resist!



No comments: