Total Pageviews

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Cake decoration 3 and 4!

Oh dear, having decided to blog about my classes I'm not being very consistant about keeping it up.  To tell the truth I'm a bit disapointed!   It's not been motivating me to blog! We are doing a lot of cake making and not an awful lot of cake decorating.

So week 3 we made buttercream icing ... again, the purpose being to practice piping.   We'd been advised to buy a nozzle and set I'd got one from Amazon, paying what I though was a very reasonable  £28 for 56 pieces.    Bindu, who you may remember was standing next to me.  had the very same set, purchased for her by her sister the las time she visited Inida .... for £4!......  made mental note to self that  next time I'm there I should remember cake decorating supplies  amounsgt all the other lovely things I could fill my suticase with!

Week 4 we made a a victoria sponge so we could water ice it!  We also practiced suger coating fruit.  This involved bushing fruit with egg white and then dusting with caster sugar.  Very tricky trying to get the right amount of egg wash on and stop it going all gloopy.  It didn't help that we each had about 10 pieces of fruit to cover and one station to do it at, so with a queue of 10 people behind you, looking over your shoulder waiting for their turn is not good for concentration or achieving perfection!

It was a bit of an all round disaster, Sponge, separeted by jam, covered in icing, and then sugared fruit ... not even my kids would eat it,  I'm afraid that it ended up in the bin.  We love sugar in our house but this was just overkill! It did look quite pretty though.



Now that doesn't look to bad does it, nice and colourful.  take a look at the close up!




See what I mean about all that sugary gloopiness!  Now,  I'm sure if I practiced lots, I could get the right consistency and make it look very attractive ....... but fruit covered in sugar doesn't do it for me.... I like my fruit and my sugar straight!  I liken it to putting sultanas in a curry!

Off now to class no.5 ...... feeling a wee bit unhappy that i'll be missing the great british bake off final.




No comments: