Total Pageviews

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Weekly bake off callenge

I recently came accross Amy's weekly bake off challenge and decided to give it ago, I like the idea of baking with people sharing disasters, triumphs and tips.

The challenge aims to bake its way through all the recipes in mary berrys 100 bakes and cakes. I don't have that book, but do have her Baking Bible hopefully that will suffice! I've arrived on the scene a bit late, they are already on bake 9 luckily, still 91 to go! 

So the bake this week is Raspberry meringue roulade, page 360 in my book.    I had similar problems to Amy, the roulade seemed to be buring with the temperatures and times given.  I turned to oven to bottom heat only and that seemed to help.  It would be useful if cookery books said something about the different oven option!

Here it is out of the oven


and turned on it's back


and the finished roulade


As it was all puffing up in the oven, I did wonder how I was going to roll it, but with a little poking and prodding, it came out ok in the end.

Like amy, I used frozen raspberry's and combined with the whipping cream,  the inside is a bit sloppy.  Next time I think I'll try whipped double cream and fresh raspberry's.

As an update to a previous blog on the GBBO technical challenges .... the pork pies were not a huge success, the pastry was really difficult and did't come out of the tin easily.   So ...... full of holes I didn't get to do the jelly thing.  Next time!  However, it's not all bad, they did taste absolutely delicious.




2 comments:

amyiswritingstuff said...

Great roulade! Thank you for entering the Weekly Bake-Off! X

kibibi said...

Thanks, I really enjoyed taking part, can't wait to hear what this weeks challenge will be. x